Duration: 2hrs 41mts
Director: Rajkumar Hirani
Produce: Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Rajkumar Hirani,
Music Director: Sanjay Wandrekar, Atul Raninga
Cast & Crew: Ranbir Kapoor, Paresh Rawal, Vicky Kaushal, Manisha Koirala. Dia Mirza, Sonam Kapoor, Anushka Sharma, Jim Sarbh
Release Date: 29 June 2018
Plot & Summary
The movie is a biopic of famous Bollywood Actor Sanjay Dutt who has been acting since early 1980’s. Role of Sanjay Dutt is played by “Ranbir Kapoor”. The movie starts with the scene where Sanju is seen reading an auto-biography written by a music director. Also, in the scene is Manyta Dutt, Sanjay Dutt’s wife (role is played by Diya Mirza). The scene is funny as the writer compares Sanju’s life of being very similar to Mahatma Gandhi with ups & down. Sanju gets upset, burns the book and asks the author to leave. Next scene they show the Supreme Court verdict in which Sanju is found guilty under TADA and is given 9 years of imprisonment. This leaves Sanju in tears and he’s seen attempting suicide when his wife stops. She asks him to fight to prove to the world that he’s a good man and did not have ill-intentions to harm anyone. He is given 1 month to surrender himself and goto jail but before that Sanju wants an expert to write his biography. He invites famous writer Winnie Diaz (role played by Anushka Sharma) to write his biography. She initially denies as she does not want to associate with a convicted criminal. Sanju meets Winnie at neutral location for the first time and does not make a great impression. But he insists that she should be giving him 1 hour to share some insight before deciding finally. Before meeting Sanjua at his home, Winnie ends up having a conversation with Zubin Mistry (an old friend of Sanju, role played by Jim Sarbh). Zubin insists that Winnie should not writing the biography of Sanju.
Winnie confronts Sanju who starts the narration and tells Zubin’s presence in his life. While Sanju was trying to make career in acting, he was constantly pressurized because of high expectation from his father, Sunil Dutt (role played by Paresh Rawal). Zubin leads Sanju into drug addition, telling that it will help boost confidence. But Sanjay eventually becomes an addict is unable to stop himself. The addiction makes him consume even being his ailing mother (Nargis, role played by Manisha Koirala) at New York hospital. This is when he meets his best friend for life Kamlesh, role played by Vicky Kaushal. Sanju has a brief stint where he completely stops taking drugs. But when he finds out that his old girlfriend, Ruby (role played by Sonam Kapoor) is getting married, he resumes. The addiction become intense after his mother’s death.
Finally, Sanju realizes all the mistake and seeks help from his dad who obliges. He takes Sanju to a rehab centre abroad where he spends nearly 18 months. After he is back, Sanju is changed and unfriends Zubin as he realizes that he was being forced into addiction. Next few scenes they show how Sanju builds his body and become famous actor. While everyone thinks that his life can never get better, Mumbai has its worst bomb-blast in 1993. Post the blast, Sunil Dutt starts to help many people in distress but couple of gangster threaten to kill him. Sanju is afraid for his father’s safety and decides to keep a gun (AK-56) for defence. But this info gets leaked in media and this results in him cancelling his foreign movie-shooting assignment and flyback to India. Soon after he is back, police take him to custody and questions him on possession of arms. Sanju initially denies but confesses that he got the weapon to protect his dad. Since its illegal to hold a weapon without license, Sanjay Dutt is sentenced under TADA (Terrorist And Disruptive Activities).
Media also spread the rumours that there’s was a truck loaded with RDX found in the backyard of Sanju’s home. This lets many of his close friends like Kamli to leave him as they don’t want to associate with a convicted terrorist. Sanjay finds it hard to convince public and police, finally goes to jail. It becomes hard to find bail even after all the effort by his father Sunil Dutt.
The next part of the movie shows Sanju and his family going through hell. Couple of people also suggest that he leave the country and accepting a crime that he has not committed. Sanjay decides to stay and fight for his case to prove his innocence. Supreme court pronounces 9 years imprisonment which Sanjay Dutt willingly accepts as he respects the law. Since police is unable to prove that Sanjay Dutt was involved in the blast, his case is taken out from TADA. Police keep him behind bars as he was in possession of arms illegally. His old friends forgive, and the public comes to know of what happens. Sanjay serves the prison terms and gets back to his family.
- The first and foremost thing is the acting of Ranbir Kapoor. He has looked just like Sanjay Dutt through out the movie. Ranbir has imitated Sanjay’s voice, walking style, behaviour, talking style and made it look very real. Though he can’t be like the real Sanjay Dutt but Ranbir has surely done an awesome job.
- Paresh Rawal playing the role of Sunil Dutt has done great acting. Throughout the movie, the relationship between father and son has been shown very well.
- Anushka Sharma as Winnie has looks quite confident and perfect for the character.
- Vicky Kaushal (friend Kamlie) and Diya Mirza as his wife are both superb. There are multiple instance where Sanju only receives support from these both. It was necessary that they play it as in Sanjay’s real life as well.
- Manisha Koirala playing the role of Nargis also played her part well.
- Dialogues in the movies are also good and there are not much vulgarity in the movie.
- Movie has a lot of comic timings and fun which reflects the actual personality of Sanju. In one of the scenes, Winnie wants to know the number of girlfriends Sanju had in his lifetime. He recollects and shares the number as 400-450 which surprises Winnie. In the same frame, Manyata is also seen who gets angry yet does not react as she already knows Sanju’s complete history. Another funny incident was the conversation between Mahesh Majarekar. Sanju tells Mahesh that he is stuck in traffic when he is speaking on landline phone.
- Every songs in the movie were good and seem to become part of movie.
- Movie is very gripping and seems to very much like a thriller. But when we realize that these are someone’s real life incident, it only gives a shock.
|1||“Main Badhiya Tu Bhi Badhiya”||Puneet Sharma||Rohan-Rohan|
|2||“Kar Har Maidaan Fateh”||Shekhar Astitwa||Vikram Montrose|
|3||“Ruby Ruby”||Irshad Kamil||A.R.Rahman|
|4||“Baba Bolta Hain Bas Ho Gaya”||Puneet Sharma, Abhijat Joshi, Rohan Gokhale||Vikram Montrose|
|5||“Bhopu Baj Raha Hain”||Shekhar Astitwa, Rohan Gokhale||Rohan-Rohan|
|6||“Mujhe Chaand Pe Le Chalo”||Irshad Kamil||A.R.Rahman|
Among the songs, my favourite songs are “Main Badhiya” and “Baba Bolta Hain”.
This is one of the best biopics I have seen in a long time. The main reason for that is that the real-life story has been showcase as is and nothing much has been tweaked. Sometimes we all love to see a person accept mistakes, be punished and then become an example to others. Acting by everyone in the movie is amazing. Kudos to the story-telling and excellent direction by Hirani. I am sure this movie will go on to become a big hit for the year. I specially recommend watching the last song after the movie that stars both real Sanjay Dutt and Ranbir perform.